Newest Medical Technology Available and New Procedures
Medical Technology Innovations. Klinikum Nürnberg gives access to most modern medical technology.
Cooperative agreements with largest medical device companies ensure that innovative products are available and being used at Klinikum Nürnberg at an earlier date than elsewhere. This means in many cases improvement in diagnostics and treatments, resulting in simplification and relief measures for our patients.
The Impella Recover system is a miniaturized impeller pump located within a catheter relieving the extra load on the weakened heart muscle allowing for recovery of the native heart. The device pumps up to 2.5 liters of blood per minute improving blood supply of all vital organs.
Siemens Multileaf Collimator
Multileaf collimation for intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) with photons (6 MV and 15 MV). This enables electron beam therapy with beam energies ranging from 6 to 21 MeV.
Providing of state-of-the-art flexible and rigid bronchoscopy instruments. Laser scanning-based autofluorescence imaging available for early tumor detection. Advanced bronchoscopic therapeutic procedures available including Nd:YAG laser, argon plasma beamer, endobronchial ultrasound. Options for bronchoscopic stent placement and endoluminal radiotherapy (“brachytherapy”, “afterloading”).
Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT-3)
With OCT-3 is a non-invasive imaging test that uses light waves to take cross-section pictures of the retina, the light-sensitive tissue lining the back of the eye. These measurements help with diagnosis and provide treatment guidance for retinal disease, such as differentiated staging of age-related idiopathic macular foramen.
…provides real-time visualization of fine retinal vessels, and used in diagnosing diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration.
Confocal Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscopy - Heidelberg Retina Tomograph (HRT III)
HRT III enables objective and quantitative measurement and three-dimensional imaging of optic nerve head structure, providing early detection and monitoring glaucoma.
Interdisciplinary Sleep Medicine Center
Integrating a variety of programs in Sleep Medicine including 18 state-of-the-art polysomnography sleep units, digital videometry, light therapy and biofeedback. Making available advanced diagnostic and therapeutic services for sleep disorders and all types of sleep-related breathing disorders (sleep apnea).
Pulmonary Function Laboratory
Impaired pulmonary function testing can by performed using spirometry, body plethysmography, high-precision analysis of transfer factors in connection with the option of specific and non-specific inhalation provocation tests. Ergospirometry, that is measuring the amount of gas inhaled and exhaled, allows evaluating interaction of lungs, heart, circulatory system and muscles under physical exercising conditions.
Special Methods in Clinical Chemistry / Laboratory Medicine
Liquid Chromatography – Tandem Mass Spectrometry
(Linear Ion Trap LC/MS/MS System)
Advanced combination of Triple-Quadrupol LC/MS/MS-System with Linear Ion Trap Technology. This provides rapid determination of high-sensitive drug concentration levels (for instance immunosuppressant drugs following organ transplantation and in line with therapeutic drug monitoring) and for toxicological analysis in unclear cases of intoxication.
Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer
This instrument used for analysing calculi (urinary calculi/renal calculi, gallstones, bladder calculi). Precise identification of properties of such stones serves designing therapeutic strategies for relevant stone disease, and avoiding recurrent generation of stones (prevention of recurrence), including developing dietary guidelines (metaphylaxis of urinary stones).
Additional Equipment and Facilities
- Angiography System
- Audiometry Laboratory
- Ergometer ECG Stress System
- Motion Analysis System
- Body plethysmography System
- Brachytherapy System
- Cell Saver
- Computed Tomography Scanner (CT)
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Electromyogram (EMG) / device to determine nerve conduction velocity
- Endoscopy Unit providing of advance endoscopy devices
- Invasive Cardiology Services (for instance cardiac catheterization laboratory, cardiac ablation generator, cardioverter defibrillator, electrophysiology pacemaker laboratory)
- Renal Replacement Therapy Equipment (hemofiltration, renal dialysis, peritoneal dialysis)
- Equipment for Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation / To-and-Fro Extracorporeal Lung Assist (for instance ECMO/ECLA)
- Equipment for Therapeutic Radiology
- Heart-Lung Machine
- High-Frequency Thermotherapy Equipment
- Tilting Table (for instance for diagnosing orthostatic syndrome)
- Laser & Light Therapy Equipment
- Lithotripter (ESWL)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging System (MRI)
- Mammography System
- Surgical Navigation Systems
- X-ray Equipment / Radiographic Screening Systems (for instance C-arms solutions)
- Sleep laboratory
- Ultrasound Equipment/ Color-coded Doppler Ultrasound Equipment
- SPECT Unit (single photon emission computed tomography)
- Spirometry Equipment / Pulmonary Function Testing Equipment
- Scintigraphy Scanner System / Gamma Camera (scintillation camera)
- Uroflowmetry System / Intravesical Pressure Measurement
Author: Klinikum Nürnberg